Organização Internacional para as Migrações – Agência das Nações Unidas para as Migrações
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration and is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position Title: Consultant
Duty Station: Remote work based in Brazil (reporting to IOM Brasília)
Type of Appointment: Consultancy, 4 months
Estimated Start Date: December 1st, 2019
Closing Date: November 12, 2019
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of Project Coordinator, the candidate will perform the following duties:
- Nature of the consultancy: Survey, analysis, and workshop organization
Objective: The consultant will develop a research instrument, collect data and develop a mapping on the profile, challenges and needs of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) directly providing legal assistance to migrants in Brazil. The consultant will also organize a workshop with the Office of the Public Defenders (Defensoria Pública da União – DPU), CSOs, and other relevant actors to discuss challenges and good practices of providing legal assistance to migrants in diverse local contexts. For this, the consultant will work in close coordination with key partner DPU.
- IOM Project to which the Consultancy is contributing: BR10 P0501 – Strengthening the Capacity of Local Stakeholders to Address Migration in Coordination with Federal Authorities in Brazil
- Tasks to be performed under this contract:
- Deliverable 1: Survey instrument
To develop, in coordination with focal points in IOM and DPU, a questionnaire (up to 30 questions) for CSOs who provide or wish to start providing legal assistance for migrants. The questionnaire shall include elements regarding the organization’s profile (size, geographic location, scope and type of assistance, number of migrants assisted/expected to assist, among others) and local context (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities e threats).
- Deliverable 2: Collected data
To systematize the collected raw data in a data base.
- Deliverable 3: Survey report
To deliver a report summarizing the mapping results and highlighting main findings. This report must have a publication style, including methodological description, findings, and analyses.
- Deliverable 4: Presentation template
To develop a presentation template with survey results to be validated at the workshop. The presentation will be previously shared will IOM and DPU and shall serve as baseline to a deep needs assessment and capacity building planning.
- Deliverable 5: Workshop organization and report
To organize, in coordination of the IOM team, a workshop on March 2020 with at least 10 CSOs representatives, as well as DPU, IOM and other relevant actors. The consultant will also be required to present the survey at the workshop (place yet to be defined). Following the event, to outline participants, contents, main discussions and way forward in a workshop report.
Deliverables, working documents and project communication shall be conducted in Brazilian Portuguese. Duty travel inside the national territory will be covered by IOM if necessary and previously approved by project manager.
- Tangible and measurable output of the work assignment
All progress will be documented and reported in writing to IOM and DPU. By the end of the contract, the consultant will have presented five deliverables, as well as additional workshop supporting materials. Is part of the consultant duty to review the content and promote necessary changes for the final products.
- Realistic delivery dates and details as to how the work must be delivered
- Deliverable 01: 06 December 2019 (BRL $2,000)
- Deliverable 02: 13 January 2020 (BRL $3,000)
- Deliverable 03: 27 January 2020 (BRL $3,000)
- Deliverable 04: 28 February (BRL $3,000)
- Deliverable 05: 23 March 2020 (BRL $3,000)
- Total compensation for the consultancy: BRL $ 14,000.
- Performance indicators for evaluation of results (value of services rendered in relation to their cost)
- Clear understanding of the scope of the tasks to be accomplished.
- Professionalism and competence in the type of consulting to be performed.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Correspondence of the results obtained during the consultancy to what is required in the ToR.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Respect for the values and principles of IOM during consulting services.
- Ability to correctly assess the time and resources needed to complete the tasks.
- Degree of satisfaction of the counterpart with the consulting carried out.
Product reports will be approved by IOM Project Manager in Brasilia, in coordination with DPU project focal point.
- BA in Law and Master’s in Law, Social Sciences or related fields.
- Demonstrable five (5) years of professional experience working with legal assistance for CSO, vulnerable populations, and/or community groups.
- At least three (3) indexed publications on legal assistance for CSO, vulnerable populations, and/or community group.
- Fluency in Portuguese and an IOM official language (English, French or Spanish).
- Demonstrable knowledge on the subject of migration (desirable).
- Good connectivity for Skype meetings.
- Availability to travel to attend the workshop.
Interested candidates should send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org until 12 November 2019, specifying in the Subject Field: “Selective Process – Survey, analysis and workshop organization – P0501”:
- Curriculum Vitae in Portuguese – maximum 3 pages
- Motivation Letter in Portuguese – maximum 1 page
- Three indexed publications on legal assistance for CSO, vulnerable populations, and/or community group.
- Two professional references (Name, occupation, relationship, phone and e-mail). Please refrain from sending reference letters. IOM will contact references, if needed.
Only pre-selected candidates for interviews will be contacted.
This project is supported by the IOM Development Fund (IDF).