Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi)
The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative is a non-profit research and development organization that is developing new treatments for neglected diseases.
Established in 2003, Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is a collaborative, patients’ needs-driven, non-profit drug research and development (R&D) organization that is developing new treatments for Neglected Diseases.
After 15 years of sustained growth, DNDi has built a team of approximately 250 full-time employees working across nine offices (Geneva, Rio de Janeiro, Kinshasa, Nairobi, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, New York, Tokyo, and Cape Town). The DNDi Latin America office was opened in 2004. With the primary aim of supporting regional R&D activities for Chagas disease and leishmaniasis, the Latin American office also leads capacity building projects through multi-country research platforms and undertakes advocacy, communications and fundraising activities to increase neglected diseases awareness and funding in the region.
DNDi’s main objective is to deliver a total of 16 to 18 treatments until 2023 (including the 8 already delivered) with a total budget of EUR 730 million. The External Relations department of DNDi Latin America, based in Rio de Janeiro, works to contribute to this global target by securing funds from public and private sources in the region.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The External Relations Consultant will contribute for the implementation of the 2019 action plan and development of the fundraising strategy in the region, from both public and private sector, with a primary focus on Brazil.
He/she will report to the Regional External Relations Manager and work with the support of the Senior External Relations Officer when necessary.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify new potential public funding mechanisms with a primary focus on Brazil
- Prospecting and analysis of potential public fundraising opportunities in Brazil
- Build and write proposals, reports and documentation requests to potential funders and donors with the support of the related areas (Finance, Communications, R&D, etc.)
- Support the consolidation and development of public FR strategy in Brazil which is relevant and consistent with DNDi’s Regional FR strategy, using appropriate planning & monitoring tools and KPIs
- Participates actively in the development and implementation of DNDi’s regional private fundraising strategy, which targets High Net Worth Individuals – HNWIs and private foundations, in collaboration with Regional External Relations Manager and Regional Director
- Carry out prospection, develop prospect profiles, and set up meetings with potential private donors, with a focus on Brazil
- Identify and map potential private fundraising opportunities in Brazil
- Identify needs and support the development of communication tools geared for private fundraising in conjunction with the communications team
- Interact with different departments to consolidate strategic data for proposals/reports
- Maintain constant relationship with the finance team while scoping new opportunities, developing proposals and defining the regional gap
- When requested, the External Relations Consultant may represent DNDi at events or with potential funders, along with the Regional External Relations Manager, Regional Director, or other team members
The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive, and the consultant may be required to undertake other responsibilities that are appropriate to the position. This job description may be subject to review.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to be proactive, prioritize, multi-task and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Very good written and oral communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Well organized and structured
- Very good analytical skills
- Ability to contribute to project delivery under minimum supervision
- Ability solve non-routine problems on a case by case/project basis
- Ability to write proposals/reports and administer grants from government donors or large foundations
- Ability to interact with donors for financial support
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in fundraising and/or external relations
- Previous experience with Major Donor fundraising is highly desirable
- Previous experience in the field of public health with NGOs, international organizations, and/or public sector is highly desirable
- Graduate or post graduate degree in marketing, international relations, social sciences, public health, or related areas
- Fluent Portuguese, including outstanding writing skills
- Advanced level of English and Spanish is highly desirable
- S/he reports primarily to the Regional External Relations Manager
- S/he reports secondary to the Regional Director
- S/he works with several teams and departments including – External Relations, R&D, Finance & Planning, Legal, Business Development, Procurement, Communications, and Advocacy
- Status: consultancy – fixed term contract – 3 months with possible extension to 6 months
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 30 April 2019
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted